After Effects Study
At around 2010 I made a conscious decision to focus on stills instead of the moving image – I was tired of having ideas and not being able to make them fast. I just wanted to get back to basics and draw on the PC like when I was a kid.
I am a believer in the ’10 years to become an expert rule’. I wanted to just get my head down, become the artist I wanted to be – Daily focus, practice and study.
Around that time GIFs were already established but the quality wasn’t as good (from what I remember) – they were small, the loading times were slow and they had lots of dithering (small dots to represent complex colour). Streaming videos at the early stages (2006-ish) were very pixelly too, however, in the past years the playback on both GIFS and streaming videos have become larger/higher resolution and faster, it has sparked my interest again.
So I’ve decided to get back into moving image and focus of GIFs primarily. I like GIFs because I can make them relatively fast and they feel like a middle ground between stills and moving image.
It has been a while since I’ve used After Effects, so I’ll be spending these coming months practising and getting comfortable with it again.
The six foundations of After Effects:
3. Animation (keyframes etc.)
5. 3D (I don’t really work in 3D, my work is 2D)
Studying software can feel overwhelming at times, but I just need to break it up into parts. My next phase is to focus on animations – just simple ‘keyframe, tweening’ animations – the goal is to focus more on ‘movement’ rather than ‘effects and polish’. So I thought just simple black and white animations of my ‘ssoosay’ logos / frame00 logo / text. Focus on interesting and natural movement rather than flashy effects. So this will be my main focus in September.
Other things I’ve been working on last month:
- Helping FRAME00 development staff with website concepts and brainstorming (plus Trello board tasks)
- Vice Motherboard’s Terraform is back. I was commissioned to do illustration for another sci-fi short:
- I’ve made more artwork for Between Borders International
- I’ve had artwork printed in Women in Diplomacy by Talyn Rahman-Figueroa
- Plus all the daily Photoshop art, GIFS and sketching.
Visit again next month for more updates 🙂